|HISTORY OF ROWSLEY
The Scarsdale Woman's Club is headquartered in Rowsley, a 19th century manor house, set on almost four acres amid magnificent trees and plantings.
The house was built in 1858 by William Bailey Lang, an English iron merchant. He fashioned it after a property in Derbyshire, England. Among the notable plantings on the site are the 470-year-old white oak tree and the massive rhododendron, both in the front of the property.
The gracious interior, extensively refurbished, has been the setting for many events, from lectures and musical programs to weddings and evening galas.
Rowsley was named an Historic Landmark by the Village of Scarsdale in 1968, and in 2008, it was designated by the nation as a site on its National Register of Historic Places.